A - I n f o s
a multi-lingual news service by, for, and about anarchists **

News in all languages
Last 40 posts (Homepage) Last two weeks' posts

The last 100 posts, according to language
Castellano_ Deutsch_ Nederlands_ English_ Français_ Italiano_ Polski_ Português_ Russkyi_ Suomi_ Svenska_ Türkçe_ The.Supplement
First few lines of all posts of last 24 hours || of past 30 days | of 2002 | of 2003 | of 2004 | of 2005

Syndication Of A-Infos - including RDF | How to Syndicate A-Infos
Subscribe to the a-infos newsgroups
{Info on A-Infos}

(en) Palestine-Israel, Bil'in, Friday demonstration: The pace dove in the mouth of the snake of the fence.

Date Sat, 06 Aug 2005 12:26:14 +0300

This Friday too the Israeli army tried to disperse the afternoon
demonstration with tear gas and shock grenades. In spite of it, the
importance of nonviolent protest against the wall was proved once again.
The companions of Bil'in have not disappointed us. This time again,
following the tradition of the village comity creativity, we had
an artful structure. When we arrived at noon for the joint Friday
demonstration, we found ready for it a huge puppet snake symbolizing
the fence and occupation - devouring a dove with the colors of the
Palestinian flag (symbolizing peace, hope, and other nice ideas).

We started the demonstration as usual from the village center, with
10 of us in the front carrying the structure of the big snake.
What a pity that this highly creative fruit of Muhamad of the village
comity do not register with the army....

We were few hundreds of Palestinians, Internationals and about 60
Israelis (people from the main regions of Haifa, Jerusalem, and
Tel Aviv responding to the call of the Anarchists Against The Wall

Like the last few of the previous demonstrations, when we arrived
at the fringe of the built area of the village we encountered
the barbed wire structure blocking the road, the placard defining
the area as closed military zone and an army platoon equipped for
dispersing demonstration.

The army commander declared as usual that the area is closed
military zone and the demonstration illegal... but said
he granted us 15 minutes till dispersing - if we respect
the non crossing red line marked by the barbed wire.

Few points worth mentioning. The army unit who replaced
a week ago the border police company after it was exposed
as a source of perjury and deployed to the disengagement
of the Gaza strip, is a bit more cautious.

They needed an excuse for the action against us. When the
allotted 15 minutes passed while we were chanting and dancing,
they first sent small teams to the village fringes trying
to provoke stone throwing. When this failed, and the periodic
warning of us to disperse resulted in nothing, and the 15
initial period stretched for a whole hour, the army started
to attack us. (All this, in spite of the fact that there is
no work on the Bil'in fence on Fridays.)

First, they started to push our big comrade Leizer Palas.
When it had no influence they started to throw tear gas and
shock grenades on the last rows of the demonstrators
and to capture people from the front lines. In parallel
a score of them pushed forward towards the village trying
to disperse us.

The people not arrested regrouped in a line in front of
the soldiers line in another confrontation.
As the army hope for stone throwing still was not
fulfilled, and as we refused to take seriously their threat
and physical pushing, and another round of arrests, they had
a second thought, and retreated behind the barbed wire
"red demarcation line" where our snake was still waiting,
and the non violent demonstration was victoriously resumed....

After a while, the snake was returned to the village, the
demo was declared ended and the guest activists and village
comity had a meeting to sum the action and to plan for the
future Fridays.

At the village fringe, there was a short attrition war between
soldiers intruders and the stone throwing youngsters but
not in large scale like it happened when the demonstrations were
viciously dispersed. When the soldiers retreated, things calmed.

Then, 15 of the 17 demonstrators detained during the intensive
confrontation - 2 internationals and 13 Israelis were released
(after taken initially to visit the route of the fence building....)
The other two, were released few hours later, as usual,
after being processed at the Givat Zeev police station.

Nir add: "from my point of view, to day demonstration prove
again the huge power of nonviolent protest. The fact that the
army do all that it can to provoke stone throwing, show how
much it wish for it and how much the stone throwing serves
the interest of the Israeli occupation authorities."

A-infos-en mailing list

A-Infos Information Center