A - I n f o s

a multi-lingual news service by, for, and about anarchists **
News in all languages
Last 40 posts (Homepage) Last two weeks' posts Our archives of old posts

The last 100 posts, according to language
Greek_ 中文 Chinese_ Castellano_ Deutsch_ Nederlands_ English_ Français_ Italiano_ Polski_ Português_ Russkyi_ Suomi_ Svenska_ Türkçe_ _The.Supplement

The First Few Lines of The Last 10 posts in:
Castellano_ Deutsch_ Nederlands_ English_ Français_ Italiano_ Polski_ Português_ Russkyi_ Suomi_ Svenska_ Türkçe_
First few lines of all posts of last 24 hours | of past 30 days | of 2002 | of 2003 | of 2004 | of 2005 | of 2006 | of 2007 | of 2008 | of 2009 | of 2010 | of 2011 | of 2012 | of 2013 | of 2014 | of 2015 | of 2016 | of 2017 | of 2018 | of 2019 | of 2020

Syndication Of A-Infos - including RDF - How to Syndicate A-Infos
Subscribe to the a-infos newsgroups

(en) avtonom: Institutions of the Federal Penitentiary Service picketed in Moscow demanding better medical care for Ilya Romanov

Date Thu, 27 Feb 2020 09:45:35 +0200

On February 18 and 19, single pickets were held in Moscow in support of political prisoner anarchist Ilya Romanov, who suffered a stroke in a Mordovian colony in October 2019. Ilya was placed in a prison hospital, but he was not provided with high-quality treatment, and doctors refuse to use medical equipment for his rehabilitation. Ilya is partially paralyzed, difficulties with self-care are exacerbated by the lack of his left hand. ---- On February 18, the action took place near the reception of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia. The rally was attended by the wife and daughter of Ilya, representatives and representatives of anarchist groups, the Russian Socialist Movement, the Worker Compass group and the Rotfront party. ---- At the very beginning of the rally, the wife of Ilya Larisa Romanova tried to file a letter with the demands of the protesters in the picketed institution, but she was told that she could be accepted only by one official who is currently not in place.

During single pickets, the FSIN reception office was repeatedly guarded, as well as the security of the reception center of the Ministry of Internal Affairs located in the same building. After the end of the action, its participants and participants went into the building all together. Only after that they agreed to let Larisa Romanov into the right office and accepted the letter. She was also promised that she would be received by the head of the Federal Penitentiary Service medical department - however, he would have his next appointment day only in March.

On February 19, protesters picketed the FSIN Department of Health Care Organization (UOMSO). Representatives and representatives of anarchist initiatives, the Working Compass, the Left Block and other sympathizers took part in the action.

One of the picketers tried to convey a letter with the demands of the protesters, but the institution promised to think whether to accept it or not. Fortunately, closer to the end of the action, representatives and representatives of the human rights community came to the FSIN medical department to participate in the round table. Among them were Valery Borshchev, a member of the Moscow Helsing Group, and Lyubov Volkova, a member of the PMC, who took a letter to Ilya Romanov for transfer to UOMSO.

Even before the start of the second series of single pickets, Larisa Romanova received a call from the FSIN medical department and promised to form an exit commission, which should go to the prisoner in the prison hospital and resolve issues related to the organization of treatment and care.

On October 24, 2019, Ilya Romanova, who is serving another term in a Mordovian colony, was hospitalized with a stroke at the medical correctional institution IK-21 in the village of Barashevo. The FSIN did not say anything to his relatives; the information appeared only on October 28. If you believe what the hospital said to one of Ilya's lawyers, he was completely paralyzed. On November 1, the attending physician informed Romanov's relatives that he had "confused" speech, "swallowing," he was given liquid food. The neuropathologist first examined Ilya and made the appointment only on November 11, the attending physician compiled a list. After that, for a long time, lawyers were not allowed to see Ilya in the prison hospital and refused to transfer medicines and care products.

On November 15, pickets were held in Moscow near Roszdravnadzor, as well as in Nizhny Novgorod , demanding medical assistance to Ilya Romanov, after which officials of Roszdravnadzor promised to take up his case.

A day earlier, on November 14, Ilya's ex-wife, Larisa Romanova, reported that the European Court of Human Rights, in accordance with rule 39 of the court's rules on emergency interim measures, before considering the merits, essentially sent a request to the Russian authorities in connection with the refusal to provide medical assistance to the political prison. On November 21, the Justice Ministry respondedThe ECHR that the lawyers Zaitsev and Kachanov allegedly received short-term permits for a meeting with Romanov, but they were informed that, due to their state of health, the political prison could not be present at the meeting. On November 27, human rights activist Sergei Maryin sent an objection to the ECHR to the government's response. He pointed out that in reality, in order to meet with the patient, it is necessary to obtain two permissions - from the medical facility-21 for entering the colony and from the head physician of hospital No. 2 to directly see the prisoner. But the lawyers did not succeed in either.

Finally, on November 28, lawyer Roman Kachanov was admitted to Romanov. As it turned out, the political prisoner was paralyzed half of the body and he hardly speaks. "We talked for about ten minutes, but basically, of course, I said. It is clear that he needs to restore his speech, of course, he needs a speech therapist. Of course, there is no speech therapist in this institution. There are no other specialists. There are no drugs. Those drugs that they sent him to him, according to the convicts, they give him. But I don't know how it really happens there, " Kachanov said . The lawyer learned from other patients that Romanov was not looked after by orderlies, but by convicts helping hospital staff.

On December 4, the commission of the medical unit-13 of the FSIN issued a decision on the absence of a serious illness from Romanov that impeded detention. Despite the fact that stroke and its consequences are included in the list of diseases due to which release should follow.

On February 13, 2020, the Zubovo-Polyansky District Court of Mordovia was supposed to consider the request of the defense attorneys to activate (release for health reasons) Ilya. The case was transferred to another, Temnikovsky District Court. When the consideration begins, and whether Ilya will live to see it, is currently unknown.

On the same day, Romanov's defenders were returned with medical equipment previously transferred by their relatives for massage and ultrasound therapy for paralyzed limbs. Both procedures are shown in all standards of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation on the treatment of strokes. Overseers said that Ilya allegedly does not need this technique.

Actual information on Ilya Romanov
How to help Ilya
Ilya Romanov actively participated in the anarchist and leftist movement of Russia since the late eighties . In 2002, he was arrested in Ukraine in the so-called "case of the Odessa Komsomol members " , also known as the "torture case". He was accused of arms trafficking and terrorism - preparing an improvised bomb explosion near the building of the Security Service of Ukraine in protest against the brutal dispersal by police of a street camp on Maidan in October 2002. At the trial, Romanov did not plead guilty, in protest, he spent hunger strikes in the pre-trial detention center and opened his veins at a court session. He was sentenced to 10 years.

After his release from a Ukrainian prison, Ilya returned to Russia, to his native city of Nizhny Novgorod. In October 2013, a makeshift firecracker exploded in the hands of Romanov, which, in his own words, he was going to test at night in a deserted park on Osharskaya Street. Anarchist was detained right in the hospital; he was charged with illicit trafficking in explosives and, after some time, with attempted assassination. The case was conducted by FSB investigators - according to their version, Romanov wanted to carry out a terrorist attack in front of the building of the regional military registration and enlistment office, which is nearby. In February 2015, Romanov was added another charge - in public calls for terrorism. Claims were caused by an interview in 2012, which he gave to Ukrainian Internet radio immediately after his release from the Ukrainian colony.In August 2015, the court sentenced him to ten years in a maximum security colony, convicted under part 1 of article 222 of the Criminal Code (illegal traffic in explosives), part 3 of article 30, part 1 of article 205 of the Criminal Code (attempted terrorist attack) and part 2 of article 205.2 of the Criminal Code (public justification of terrorism). The Supreme Court later reduced the sentence to nine years in prison.

The last criminal case against Ilya Romanov was opened in May 2017 after a search of his ward in a medical correctional institution in the Mordovian village of Barashevo (the very one where he is lying now!). Then the investigators seized the phone from him, from which Romanov allegedly posted a video with jihadists on Facebook and records of occult rituals with a voodoo doll named Vladimir. The anarchist denies blame. The main witness for the prosecution in this case, prisoner Sergey Zhuravlev, who was in the same ward of the prison hospital with Romanov, admitted during the trial that he had collaborated with the FSB operative Yegor Mitochkin. On October 26, 2018, the Volga District Military Court in Samara sentenced Ilya to five and a half years imprisonment in the case of calls for terrorism (article 205.2 of the Criminal Code). The sentence was partially added to the term that Romanov did not serve in the previous case.

From now on, Ilya Romanov, if he is not released for health reasons, should serve a little less than 6 years.

A - I N F O S N E W S S E R V I C E
By, For, and About Anarchists
Send news reports to A-infos-en mailing list
Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://ainfos.ca/mailman/listinfo/a-infos-en
Archive: http://ainfos.ca/en
A-Infos Information Center