(Eng) El Acratador #54 - part 4(Cast)

Luis Prat (prat@chem.ucsb.edu)
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 11:18:57 -0700


The resistance on the roof of the old San Agustin School lasted nine days.
Here we complete the information given in our previous issue.

On friday May 31 the five people arrested were released (two evicted from
the roof and three arrested in the street below), after being arrested
during a police charge the day before, three of them had to visit the
hospital. The most serious injury was a broken arm (the second broken arm
since the eviction began), which had to be operated. They were charged with
assault and disorderly conduct, in addition to illegal occupation for those
two caught on the roof.

That same friday evening they got to talk with two councilmembers and a
regional representative from I.U. (Izquierda Unida - United Left, political
party T.N.) that came to talk to the police, who had blocked the street and
would not allow access to anybody, not even neighborhood residents that
didn't have the San Agustin address in their National Identity Document. The
police said they would not leave and kept the street blocked, in a veritable
state of siege. A meeting with City Hall was planned for monday. During this
time all the newspapers dedicate a page everyday to this matter, and TV and
Radio also broadcast it. In some "citizen's opinion" programs there are
pitched public debates.

On saturday June 1 there is a constant presence in Magdalena Plaza and at 8
in the evening over 300 people gather to show support for the people on the
roof. Sunday morning, during an act by the institution's Casa de Juventud
(Youth Homes) a group of 50 people showed up with an Okupation banner,
climbing up on the stage and reading a manifest in support of Publio Cordon.
A squatter gets ahold of a mike and proclaims our position. First thing
monday morning we go to City Hall to negotiate the donation of San Agustin
School for a rehabilitation project backed up by four neighborhood
associations, with the presence of the Justice of Aragon as mediator.

At noon the Justice goes to the roof to talk with the okupas. In the
afternoon, the councilmember responsible for the local police receives three
okupas, one of whom came down from the roof (seven remaining) and makes the
offer that if the okupas come down there will be no charges filed and
insinuates the withdrawl of charges against the other seven arrestees, as
well as the remaining okupas. He also offers a compromise to dedicate the
building to cultural activities in the future, and that the project will be
considered, with an answer forthcoming by 9AM the following day. Gross lie,
as we would see later.

In the evening the Okupa's Assembly decides not to accept the ultimatum from
City Hall and to continue on the roof and in the Plaza. In the morning of
tuesday June 4 two okupas come down with help from the Justices assistants
and the I.U. councilmembers. In the afternoon two attorneys, a neighbor and
a squatter enter the building with a Court order to remove objects from
inside the building. They confirm that the cops have urinated on clothes
that were left inside, they vandalized as much as they could and strewn
rubbish (from the previous okupation two years ago) all over the house. In
addition there is graffitti showing swastikas and "Okupas sons of a whore"
or "UPC por cojones" painted by the cops during their idle moments.

The Mayor offers to see the okupas on the roof with the condition that they
come down. On wednesday June 5 after nine days of resistance on the roof,
enduring harsh weather conditions (burning sun, rain storms etc) the
remaining five okupas decide to come down. The final agreement with City
Hall was to consider the building's rehabilitation and the donation project
presented to the Okupas Assembly and the withdrawl of all charges against
the okupas on the roof and those arrested during various police actions.

On saturday June 8 a support demonstration was called. The government
prohibited it arguing that the okupation was illegal. In spite of this more
than 500 people challenged the government's order and marched through the
center of the city causing serious traffic jams. Along the route they
painted graffitti on banks, department stores and luxury stores. The police
showed up only to protect General Headquarters and the area surrounding the
school. Days later a ruling was obtained recognizing that the application
for a demonstration met all the requirements for its legalization.

A week later a gang of municipal workers tore down the inner walls, floors
and roofs of the building, rendering it totally useless. In a Radio program
La Rudi (The Mayor? T.N.) was asked about it and she denied having promised
anything at any time. By August the building has been totally demolished.
Finally the only promise kept by City Hall was the withdrawl of charges
against the okupas that remained on the roof. The five people arrested in
the street are awaiting trial.

The withdrawl from the roof can't be seen at any moment as a defeat, since
we obtained a public resonance we never imagined and a citizen's debate has
opened up discussing matters such as urban speculation, the intentional
marginalizing of certain neighborhoods of our city and the police
performance in keeping the Magdalena neighborhood under siege. In addition,
City Hall has been ridiculed as it was overrun by events that had the
support of neighbor's associations, Neighborhood Federation, Parents of
Students and several councilmembers from the very same City Hall.



* On September 6 several nazis tried to assault Social Center Entropia. A
quick response forced them to flee.

* On June 7 the extreme right wing group Democracia Nacional made their
public debut in a Zaragoza hotel.

* Zaragoza's City Hall has agreed to enter the neonazi sect Nueva Acropolis
in the registry of citizen's organizations, thanks to the blessings of PP
(Popular Party, right wing T.N.) and PAR (Partido Aragones - Aragon's
Regionalisy Party, right wing tendencies T.N.) and abstentions from I.U. and
PSOE (Partido Socialista Obrero Espan~ol - Spanish Workers Socialist Party,
T.N.). Only CHA (Chunta Aragonesista - Aragon's left wing nationalist party
T.N.) opposed it.

* During the summer several nazi aggressions and threats at knife point took
place. Some charges have been filed.

* The two people that legalized the antifascist demonstration of November 20
have been fined 500,000 ptas for the incidents that occurred besides the

* On June 18 two nazis belonging to the group that attacked a member of the
Ateneo Libertario as he was leaving his job this past October were tried.
Although the accusers asked for 30 days in jail, they were sentenced to 10 days.

* Also on trial, thanks to charges pressed by an antifascist person, was
Jose Luis Baeta, for his attacks against Bar Beirut, before a Zaragoza
soccer game. He didn't show up at his trial, and was sentenced to 4 days in
jail, this being his fifth consecutive conviction.


Juan de Dios Rubio, neonazi, drug dealer and jailed in May for his
involvement in the GAL (Grupos Antiterroristas de Liberacion - Antiterrorist
Liberation Groups, financed by the Ministry of the Interior with
unaccountable funds, the state's secret terrorist organization)(see Acrat.
#53) was found dead at home on August 29. At the end of June he was released
on bail of two million ptas. His death is pretty strange and there are
different theories, from natural death to poisoning. The results of the
autopsy are not known. Rubio had links to several dark conspiracies by the
State: attempted coups, a regular at Intxaurrondo, friend of Dorado and
Bayo, took part in the attempt at Hotel Alcala. Days before his arrest Rubio
had negotiated with a weekly to supply information on the GALs in exchange
for money.


During events of an independentist nature in Berga (Barcelona) there were
confrontations between members of Estat Catala, an independentist
organization which claims to be a-political in which numerous nazis
militate, and PUA (Plataforma d'Unitat d'Accio), an independentist
antifascist group.


On July 5 three antifascst militants were tried in Madrid for the incidents
that happened during the trial of Ignacio Alonso, a leader of Bases
Autonomas on October 10 1995. The Alonso trial, for attacks on university
students, had to be suspended when 20 nazis blocked the public's access to
the Courtroom. Several young people that were at the trial of an insumiso
approached the scene and found themselves in the midst of the altercation,
and were arrested by the Guardia Civil. A nazi who was likewise arrested was
quickly released without even being identified. The prosecutor asked a total
of 26 months in jail and 600,000 ptas fine. A demand for illegal arrest by
the defendants and several witnesses continues its course. The new date for
the trial of Ignacio Alonso is unknown.


* This past June in Huesca the windshields of a car belonging to a CNT
activist were broken and there was nazi graffitti, being this the first nazi
aggression registered as such in this city of the Upper Aragon.

* On June 3 in Mallorca six nazis were tried accused of attacking a young
antifascist. Two of them were sentenced to 15 days in jail and the rest were
acquitted. There was an antifascist gathering the day of the trial.

* In Granada there have been several attacks by fascists linked to Bases

* At Valencia's Book Fair an antifascist gathering took place in protest
against neonazi sect Nueva Acropolis and against the local fascist newspaper
Las Provincias.


Buenos Aires (Argentina). On April 28 20,000 people took part in a festival
against police violence in the fifth anniversary of the death of Walter
Bulacio at the police headquarters. The act was organized by the
Coordinadora Against Police and Institutional Repression (CORREPI). Nearby,
about 30 skins members of the neofascist Movimiento Nuevo Orden (MNO) set up
a stand of racist propaganda "Arian Power". Provocations against the people
attending the festival had begun in the morning. In the afternoon, in spite
of attempts to preserve the peace, an espectator climbed up on the stage
shouting "Death to the skins!" which unleashed a collective brawl. A mob
advanced against the fascists. Their bats, chains and rocks were to no
avail. One of the fascists was killed and 25 others had to be hospitalized.
The savagery of the fight is the result of being fed up with the impunity
with which the fascists go about. After the brawl there were more
disturbances, pitched battles, destrucction of urban buildings and assault
and looting of supermarkets. The argentinian press twisted the facts for 12
days. MNO enjoys good relations with the Federal Police, the head of Arian
Power is the son of a police chief and the fascists patronize a bar property
of a policeman.

*** BRIEFS ***


There are more than 20 insumiso prisoners of conscience in Zaragoza,
notwithstanding the New Penal Code and the whitewahs over this matter.

Insumiso from Ejea Manolo Naudin was released on June 24. Manolo had been in
second degree at Torrero prison for several months after having made a stand
with other insumisos.

Also returned to the third penitentiary degree was Martin Abril, who had bee
in second degree for several months. Remaining in second degree are Sergio
Callau and Javi Aguado. Write to them at Ave. America 80, Zaragoza 50.007.


This past June 3 insumiso from Zaragoza Wladimiro "Wlady" Gil was arrested
in Mallorca. Wlady was tried for rebellion when he didn't appear at his
trial more than two years ago and was sentenced to one yaer, in spite of
which he declined the remission of sentence he could have gotten to avoid
going to jail.

ISAAC PUENTE (1896-1936)

Maeztu's City Hall, the CNT and several basque libertarian collectives held
some events conmemorating the centennial of Isaac Puente. Three aspects made
him famous in his day: his activities as a rural physician in support of the
neediest, his educational work (preventive medicine, sexual education,
nutrition, wholesome living etc) and his theoretical and militant
contributions to anarchism. From 1921 he played an important role in the
Basque CNT. In 1930 he was elected by Alava's College of Physicians as
Provincial Delegate, two months later he quit in disgust. During the
Republic he was imprisoned for one month in 1932. In 1933 he was arrested in
Zaragoza together with the other members of the Revolutionary Committee.
After the military rebellion he was arrested in July 1936 at his home in
Maeztu. He was seen alive for the last time a month later coming out of
Vitoria jail. He was probably executed in Burgos and his grave has never
been found. He was sentenced to death posthumously by a franquist court.


Luis J. Prat

University of California
Chemistry Dept.
Santa Barbara CA 93106
(805) 893-3295
(805) 893-4120 FAX


+++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal
+++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig
+++ see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm

### B O Y C O T T S H E L L ###
greedy murderers and polluters
remember Ken Saro Wiwa and the slaughtered Ogoni