I am writing on behalf of the group Tonantzin, Boston. Boston Committee in
Support of Native Peoples of Mexico. The situation in Mexico is critical
now and we need to send faxes to President Zedillo regarding the
militarization of the country and the ause abuse of ohuman rights. Please
send a fax to
FAX NO> 011-52-5-271-1764
Dear President Zedillo:
I am writing with grave concern about the human rights situation in
MExico. I urge you to carry out the following actions immediately.
1. Liberate all of the alleged Zapatista prisoners who recently were
sentences to six years in prison based on confessions extracted under
2. Reopen negotitions with the EZLN.
3. Install the Verification and Implementation Committeefor the first
set of accords signed on indigenous rights and culture
4. End the militarization of the country and the persecution of
indigenous people and others involved in independent organizations.
5. Address the critical needs of the nations poor.
We hope to see Mexico progressing towards the democratic transition that
is so urgently needed.
[Copies of your letter can also be faxed to the CONAI, the mediating
commission headed by Bishop Samuel Ruiz in San Cristobal .