(eng) ANTIFA INFO-BULLETIN, Supplement 37

Tom Burghardt (tburghardt@igc.apc.org)
Mon, 6 May 1996 18:21:49 +0200

||| |||
||| A N T I F A |||
||| |||
||| I N F O - B U L L E T I N |||
||| _____ |||
||| |||
||| * News * Analysis * Research * Action * |||
||| |||


|| * -- SUPPLEMENT - * -- May 02, 1996 -- * - SUPPLEMENT -- * ||


CONTENTS: Supplement 37


On Kurdish Celebration Leads To Mass Arrests

The Massacre of Landless Workers

3. (COORD 96) COORDINADORA 96: Immigrants Mobilize Against
Terror Bill

4. (ATS) Solidarity Builds Slowly For Imprisoned
German Leftists, from JUNGE WELT; Murderer of
RAF Guerrilla Won't Stand Trial

5. (AP) Three Die In Police-Leftist May Day Clashes
In Turkey

6. (REUTER) Thousands In Mexico Protest Economic Crisis,

7. (REUTER) French Priest Draws Back In Holocaust Dispute

8. (LAT) Man Gets 16 Months In Prison For Attack On
Native American


** Topic: germany update 3/96 **
** Written 9:33 PM Apr 27, 1996 by
MISCHA@VLBERLIN.comlink.apc.org in cdp:gen.racism **

News Update March/April 1996



A ban on Kurdish New Year (Newroz) festivities and demonstrations
at the end of March led to what has been described as "the
biggest emergency powers operation since the hunt for alleged Red
Army Faction sympathizers in 1977".

A demonstration planned for March 20th in the western German city
of Dortmund was banned in the preceding week, allegedly because
ERNK (Kurdish National Liberation Front) flags and symbols had
been shown on a women's demonstration in Bonn the previous
weekend. The showing of the flags - forbidden in Germany - caused
the police to intervene in the demonstration.

In the run-up to the Dortmund demonstration the German Police
Trade Union (Gewerkschaft der Polizei - GdP) had also called for
all Kurdish public events in connection with the Newroz
festivities on March 21st to be banned .

In the event the organizers of the demonstration decided to
protest against the ban, which led to extensive clashes with the
police in Dortmund and other cities on March 16th. In spite of a
media campaign emphasizing the "readiness for violence" of the
Kurdish demonstrators, official police statistics for injuries in
Dortmund tell a different story: the number of injured include 6
police officers as against 300 demonstrators. Police figures also
give the total number of demonstrators as 3800, a figure deemed
too low by independent observers. According to the police 343
Kurdish demonstrators were arrested and charged with breach of
the peace, with another 1201 demonstrators taken into custody and
subsequently released.

The protest actions in Dortmund included a blockade of railway
tracks and a road at Dortmund central station. Police control
point throughout the city caused traffic jams of up to ten
kilometres. At one stage over 1000 demonstrators are reported to
have been surrounded by police. The borders to the state of
Nordrhein-Westfalen in which Dortmund in situated were also
heavily controlled by police and Federal Border Guards. Several
thousand demonstrators also blocked motorways in protest at the
ban on the official demonstration. At Aachen-Lichtenbusch on the
border with Belgium 1500 Kurdish demonstrators blocked the
motorway border crossing point with a sit-in lasting several
hours following the refusal of German border guards to grant them
entry to the Federal Republic. A similar situation developed at
the Arnheim-Elten border crossing, where two police officers in a
patrol car were overpowered and had their pistols taken. The
weapons were later returned by departing demonstrators.

There were also reports of clashes between demonstrators and
police on Friday evening in both Berlin and Hamburg.

The Leipzig-based refugee aid group "Kahina" reported that police
in the city of Kassel had prevented all passengers on an incoming
train from Halle on Saturday morning from leaving it on arrival.
The police then separated the passengers according to racist
criteria: the "German-looking" (i.e. white, Northern
European-looking) passengers were then allowed to leave, whilst
all those deemed to be "foreigners" were ordered to stay on the
train, which was then sealed and driven back to Halle. Even
citizens from other countries who were able to prove that they
were not Kurds were not allowed to leave the train. A total of
150 people were thus transported back to their point of departure
- illegally, according to the "Kahina" group. A spokesperson for
the group referred to the incident as "multiple wrongful
deprivation of personal liberty and coercion of persons
stigmatized as foreigners solely because of their appearance".
This kind of racist selection process showed, according to the
spokesperson, "that this state still has not fully dealt with its
national socialist past".

Politicians from both the ruling conservative-liberal coalition
and the opposition social democrats reacted to the clashes by
predictably calling for tougher measures against the Kurdish
community. The spokesperson for internal affairs of the CDU/CSU
parliamentary faction, Erwin Marschewski, called for foreigners
found guilty of serious breach of the peace to be deported and
his boss, Chancellor Kohl, obligingly announced that there would
be indeed be new tougher laws against foreigners, and that the
future punishment for foreigners found guilty of a breach of the
peace would be statutory deportation (at present deportation is a
possibility rather than a compulsory measure). Strangely enough,
it seems that these new measures had been agreed on several weeks
before the violent clashes in Dortmund, according to a statement
by Jvrg van Essen, a member of the Bundestag for the FDP.

The Junge Welt newspaper accused Chancellor Kohl of blatant
disregard for the Geneva Refugee Convention, to which Germany is
a signatory. According to Article 33, a prisoner cannot be
deported to a country in which that person's "life or freedom
would be under threat due to his or her race, religion,
nationality or membership of a certain social group or political

And whilst Germany's Foreign Minister Klaus Kinkel was referring
to the events in Dortmund as a "declaration of war", the question
as to who had declared war on whom was one which most newspapers
failed to address, although some did at least manage to report
the findings of a human rights delegation in Eastern Turkey which
had once again identified German-supplied equipment in use in the
Turkish government's military operations against Kurdish rebels.
The equipment was identified as two Faun tank transporters,
several MAN semitrailers as well as a number of Mercedes-Benz
military version Unimog vehicles. All were seen during a military
operation in the town of Van in Hakkari Province on March 18th.
In the past, politicians from the German government had
consistently denied supplying military material to Turkey for its
war against the Kurds.

Back in Germany, following the events in Dortmund and elsewhere,
Interior Minister Manfred Kanther (CDU) called for "all Kurdish
public events likely to be connected with the PKK (Kurdish
Workers Party)" to be banned. This effectively meant that all
Newroz celebrations in Germany were declared illegal. As a
result, police and Federal Border Guards in cities throughout
Germany were placed on red alert, with Newroz rallies and
meetings banned in Stuttgart, Bonn, Cologne, D|sseldorf, Hagen,
M|nster, Krefeld, Osnabr|ck, Frankfurt am Main, Kassel and
Hannover, although some events were permitted in Hamburg, Bremen,
Kiel, Giessen and W|rzburg. According to police figures, some 700
people were arrested across Germany. A small demonstration of
some 300 people near Hamburg's "Sternschanze" railway station
was immediately surrounded by police with most of the
demonstrators subsequently arrested. In Stuttgart and the state
of Baden-W|rttemberg a total of 135 people were taken into
preventative detention on the morning of the 21st, i.e. before
having committed any offence. A further 77 Kurds were arrested at
road checkpoints during the day. These preventative detentions
were carried out on the basis of the new police powers which have
come into effect in Baden-W|rttemberg, where it is now possible
for people to be held for up to 14 days on suspicion of intending
to commit an offence.

The actions of the German state seem likely to highten tension
with regard to the Kurdish community. In addition to the war
against the Kurds currently being fought by the Turkish state,
Kurdish people in Germany are now faced with a degree of
criminalization and a level of repression against an ethnic group
which has not been seen here since the end of World War Two.


** Topic: BRA: Details on Massacre in Brazil **
** Written 7:38 AM Apr 26, 1996 by DEBRA@OLN.comlink.apc.org
in cdp:hrnet.americas **
## author : riomariausa@igc.apc.org
## date : 21.04.96

Details on the Massacre of Landless Workers
in Eldorado (State of Para) Brazil

On April 18 eight seriously wounded people arrived in Belem from
Maraba. It was difficult to communicate with them because some
needed immediate surgery, and others were in a precarious
situation both physically and mentally. CUT (Central Unica dos
Trabalhadores, a labor federation), which was attempting to do a
survey of what the wounded needed, since they arrived without
clothing or shoes, said that it was impossible to make contact
with them. The Director of the Hopsital said that he was
following orders of the governor of the state, Amir Gabriel, and
of the Secretary of Public Safety, Paulo Sette Camara. Only
relatives could enter. The Union of Health Workers of the State
acted to negotiate for the press. In this way a representative
of Fetragri (Federacao dos Trabalhadores Rurais--the rural
workers' federation) and a representative of CUT were able to
enter, as long as they were accompanied by a representative of
the hospital. They were not permitted to remain with the
wounded. Even after this authorization, two plain-clothes police
tried to remove those two representatives (CUT and Fetragri),
saying that they had orders from the Secretary of Public Safety.
Then the Director of the Hospital assumed the responsibility of
permitting the presence of these representatives of CUT and
Fetragri with the wounded. However, plain-clothes police
remained at the door of the room of Rubenita Silva, leader of the
Movement of the Landless for the state of Para. Since these
wounded people are important witnesses to the massacre, their
lives are valuable for some and dangerous for others. The
wounded ones are very traumatized by the brutality which they and
many of their companions experienced.

The information which was given to us by Fetragri in relation to
the wounded are as follows:

- Rubenita Silva, one of the leaders of the Movement of the
Landless, received a bullet in the jaw, resulting in the loss of
several teeth. Her case is very serious. Her mouth is very much
infected, making it difficult for her to eat. Since she is
physically debilitated, the doctors are unable to operate on her
for ten days.

- Jose Carlos Moreira dos Santos received a blow to the eye. He
is in the intensive care unit, recovering from surgery. He is
accompanied by his mother, Dona Dica, who also participated in
the march, but managed to escape by running into the woods.

- Jose da Natividade: fractured femur

- Domingos dos Reis da Conceicao: fractured tibia and thigh

- Elyomar Pereira da Silva: fractured ankle

- Michael Jacson Barbosa: fractured femur

- Marcos Pereira da Silva: trauma from a firearm (there is not
information about the precise location, but in the leg)

- Nilson Pereira de souza: fracture of lower lateral limb, in
addition to injuries in other parts of the body

In addition, there are inumerable other victims of the cruelty of
these police. There is news of a female leader of the movement
who was struck with the butt of a machine gun, and then was
dragged through the woods by the hair by several police.

The main concern at the present time is to know who survived, who
died, and who has been imprisoned.

The Movement of the Landless has already counted 80 people

It is important to note that journalists have testified that,
after the confrontation between the military police and the
demonstrators, the military police relentlessly pursued the rural
workers who fled into the woods seeking cover. Under the command
of Colonel Mario Colares Pantoja, the police conducted summary
executions of the workers, shooting at point-blank range, using
rifles and machine guns. They used 762 mm rifles and 9mm machine
guns, which have great destructive power.

The confrontation with the military police occurred after an
ambush that the police organized against the demonstrators. This
is what happened: One policeman who was in contact with the
demonstrators promised fifty buses to transport them to Maraba.
Those who descended from the buses, instead of being negotiators,
were heavily armed police, dispached from Parauapebas. The
police then waited for the arrival of MPs from the city of
Maraba. 250 of them surrounded the landless workers, and began
to throw tear gas bombs. The landless fought back with hoes and
scythes. That was how the massacre began. The police took aim
for the heads and the chests of the demonstrators.

If the police only wanted to unblock the highway, as they claim,
why did they use such powerful weapons? Why, after the flight of
the demonstrators, did they continue to pursue them through the

Today, April 19, a funeral cortege extending for four miles
accompanied the 19 bodies of the landless workers to
Curionopolis, where they will be buried.

The elected officials who went to the site reached the conclusion
that, after the shots were fired, the police sought to identify
the leaders of the movement among those who had been injured, and
executed a total of eight of them.

INCRA (The National Institute for Agrarian Reform) stated that
the alleged owner of the Maxaxeira ranch, where the landless were
camped, does not have a definitive title to the land, and has
never paid the territorial rural tax.

Given all the facts that have been reported here and everything
that has been shown on television, we ask for your help in
spreading this information, sensitizing people so that they will
pressure the authorities to investigate who is responsible and to
punish the guilty.

Send telegrams or faxes to:

Exmo. Sr. Procurador da Republica
SGAS L2 SUL Q603 Lt 23 - 2o. andar
Brasilia - DF
Fax: (061) 223-6119

[Information sent from the Rio Maria Committee of Rio de Janeiro
to the Rio Maria Committee of the United sStates and translated
by the latter]

** End of text from cdp:hrnet.americas **


** Topic: Immigrants Mobilize Against Terror Bill **
** Written 5:39 PM Apr 30, 1996 by bwitanek in
cdp:justice.polabuse **
Posted: BETO@ucrac1.ucr.edu


--Note: The following article discusses the response on the part
of the immigrant rights community against the recent passage of
the anti-terrorism law by the U.S. Congress. Of particular
concern are those passages that would make persons caught by the
immigration authorities immediately deportable without due
process, an aspect of immigration law without precedent in the
history of this country. Provided is a quick translation to
English of the article. See, "Se movilizan contra la ley
antiterrorista", LA OPINION, Thursday, April 25, 1996, 1A, 6A,
Los Angeles, California. The article was written by Lilian de la

Posted: Roberto R. Calderon/beto@ucrac1.ucr.edu

Lilian de la Torre, "Mobilization Against the Anti-terrorism
Law," LA OPINION, Thursday, April 25, 1996, 1A, 6A.

The anti-terrorism law promulgated yesterday by President
Clinton contains clauses on immigration that have been catalogued
as "anti-refugees" and are without precedent in the history of
the country's migratory laws, which produced in this city [Los
Angeles] a mobilization campaign on behalf of the immigrant

"By way of a coalition of groups, we are organizing several
events so that the community can act against this anti-immigrant
attack," commented Celia Garlia, director of the organization El
Rescate, at a press conference held simultaneously with the the
signing ceremony of the law against terrorism in the White House.
President Bill Clinton proclaimed in Washington that the "United
States would never surrender to terrorism," and signed the law
which gives the government added powers to prevent such attempts
and pursue those who commit them.

For their part, the more than 20 immigrant rights groups
present at the event admitted that they were taken by surprise in
discovering that the anti-terrorist law contains a clause
providing for immediate deportation without right to a trial for
all persons who have entered the country illegally. They never
thought that this legislative disposition formed part of the
final document.

"It was an mistake, I think that all along we have
concentrated on the immigration law project being debated in the
Senate," admitted Gralia, who added that the coalition members
never saw a direct relationship between immigration and the
subject of terrorism.

Nevertheless, there is still time to mobilize and act since