(eng) ANTIFA INFO-BULLETIN, Supplement 24

Tom Burghardt (tburghardt@igc.apc.org)
Sat, 6 Apr 1996 09:09:00 +0200


falsely believed pre-election South Africa was on the verge of
anarchy and bloody revolution.

The bombers struck in the centre of Johannesburg, the
international airport and towns around the city in a failed
attempt to halt the April 1994 elections won by President Nelson
Mandela's ANC.

The blitz began three days before the election when a car bomb
exploded outside a Johannesburg hotel, a few metres (yards) from
the ANC's regional headquarters, killing nine people.

Four more bomb blasts occurred the next day. The bombing
campaign culminated in an explosion at Johannesburg airport on
the first day of the April 26-28 polls.

Damage to property was estimated at 75 million rand ($18.8
million). The trial began in February last year.

Since the elections, white right-wing groups such as the AWB,
which still want a white homeland in post-apartheid South Africa,
have found it hard to maintain the momentum that sustained them
in the run-up to black rule.

Susan Keane's father John said some of the top AWB members
should have been held accountable. The movement's high command
has denied any involvement in the attacks.

"I think some of the more senior members of the AWB should
also have been in court...they cannot in all consciousness tell
us they were unaware of the bombing plans.

"I don't think these people are ready to reconcile and
personally I am not ready to reconcile with them. I just cannot,"
he said.

*****

{Editor's Note: _Jubilee_ is the flagship tabloid of the racist
Christian Identity movement. Among other itemss, _Jubilee_ has
published articles praising anti-abort assassin, Rev. Paul Hill,
inquiring whether Hill qualifies as a member of the "Phineas
Priesthood," an elite group of racist killers.}

From: NewsHound@sjmercury.com (NewsHound)
Date: 96-04-03 19:57:05 EST

No Wimps, Liberals Welcome at Jubilee Meeting

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. (AP) -- The flyer tells wimps, liberals and
media to stay home. No walkins are allowed. Jubilee Ministers is
gathering here over the Easter weekend and plans to keep it a
private affair.

The ``politically incorrect conference'' organized by The Jubilee
Newspaper, a bi-monthly pro-militia, anti-government publication
based in Midpines, Calif., opens Friday at the Hyatt Regency and
runs through Sunday.

Except for a news conference tentatively set for Saturday,
reporters are barred from Jubilation '96.

A telephone call to The Jubilee at its office in the Sierra
foothills just west of the southern end of Yosemite National Park
was not returned.

Scheduled speakers include Randy Weaver, a separatist whose wife
and son were killed in the 1992 standoff with federal agents at
Ruby Ridge, Idaho, according to a flyer promoting the gathering.

Others listed include Clive Doyle, described as a ``Waco
Holocaust Survivor,'' writer J.D. Cash on the ``Oklahoma City
Bombing Coverup,' and Ken Anderson, described as a nutritionist.

The organizers describe themselves as Christians dedicated to
proclaiming liberty throughout the land. The slogan for this
weekend's gathering is, ``We Want This Country Back!''

The event was booked into the Hyatt, at the north shore of Lake
Tahoe, by a group called Jubilee Ministers. Both the Washoe
County sheriff's office and the FBI are aware of the meeting and
its organizers.

``We're treating it an any other convention,'' Sheriff's Sgt.
Mark Caldwell said. ``We're not anticipating problems. It's going
to be business as usual.''

An FBI source, who asked not to be names, told the Tahoe Daily
Tribune people who support separatist and militia sentiments have
the same rights to assemble and discuss their views as any other
organization.

The group's flyers, printed before the Freemen standoff began in
Montana, do not mention that confrontation between the
anti-government group and federal agents.

At least a dozen members of the Freemen have been holed up in a
960-acre, barricaded ranch called Justus Township since March 25,
when federal agents arrested two of its leaders who had left the
compound.

Among other things, the two were charged with bad-check schemes
and conspiring to kidnap and murder a federal judge involved in
the foreclosure against the ranch on the eastern Montana plains.

AP-WS-04-03-96 1633EST

*****

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 00:01:22 -0500
Subject: Christian Coalition Comes to Canada

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Originally published in Canadian Dimension magazine
April 1996, p.38

All Rights Reserved By Author
Kim Goldberg: at491@freenet.carleton.ca

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christian Coalition Comes to Town
(c) Kim Goldberg, 1996

Reproductive rights took a giant step backward in
January when a provincial court judge gutted the B.C.
government's new Access to Abortion Services Act, which had
established protest-free "bubble zones" around abortion
clinics and doctors' homes and offices. The ruling came at
a time when the previously disorganized Religious Right in
this province was congealing into a B.C. wing of the newly
formed Christian Coalition of Canada, inspired by the
politically influential Christian Coalition in the U.S.
This double whammy against women's access to abortion (and
much more in the case of the CCC) raises the stakes
considerably in a tight provincial election anticipated for
this spring or fall.

B.C.'s NDP government drafted the bubble-zone law in
response to a torrent of anti-choice violence sweeping
Canada and the U.S., including the near-fatal sniper
shooting in 1994 of Vancouver gynecologist Dr. Gary Romalis
in his home. B.C. is the only province to enact such a law.
A similar U.S. law was enacted nationwide in 1994 and
withstood a constitutional challenge last October, despite
the broad interpretation U.S. courts have historically given
to the constitutional rights of free speech and free
assembly. The B.C. government is appealing the verdict that
deemed its own law unconstitutional. But an election will
likely be called before that process is complete.

Even more ominous for democratic rights in this province
is the recent hatching of the B.C. clone of Pat Robertson's
Christian Coalition. With 1.7 million active members and a
$25 million (US) annual budget, the U.S. organization has
become a formidable lobbying force in American politics,
installing its anti-choice, anti-gay agenda and candidates
at all levels of government, from school boards to Congress.

The B.C. chapter is headed up by Operation Rescue
activist Don Spratt, and claims among its founding board
members former B.C. Premier and ardent anti-choicer Bill
Vander Zalm. In an opinion piece in the Vancouver Sun,
Spratt insisted (somewhat oxymoronically) "We have no ties
with our U.S. counterpart." However, according to news
reports, the Christian Coalition of Canada materialized
after dozens of conservative Christians in this country
thronged to Washington, DC, last fall to attend a major
convention of the U.S. organization.

"Advisors" to the new CCC reportedly include Ted and
Link Byfield (owners of the ultra-conservative B.C. Report
and Alberta Report magazines), Jason Kenny (head of the
Canadian Taxpayers Association), and Alex Parachin (head of
the Christian Broadcasting Associates in Toronto, the
Canadian branch plant of Pat Robertson's Christian
Broadcasting Network).

B.C. is particularly fertile ground for conservative
Christians, according to CCC activist and organizer Jim
Garrow (who heads the Ontario-based National Parents
Coalition), hence B.C.'s status as the first provincial wing
of the CCC. Alberta and Ontario are predicted to be next in
line.

The B.C. chapter is sure to be a factor in the upcoming
election, giving a boost to Reform Party candidates and any
others who will go on record opposing abortion. The effect
will likely be greatest in Surrey and the rest of the bible
belt east of Vancouver. (Surrey is home to the taxpayer-
funded "Traditional School" which opened last year after
much campaigning from Surrey school trustee and clinic
blockader Robert Pickering. Pickering scored another
victory for the Religious Right this February when his
motion to ban Planned Parenthood from all sex education
programs in the district passed.)

While Don Spratt may be telling readers "Nobody has
anything to fear from Christian Coalition," progressive
activists and journalists will have to make sure the
electorate knows better.

-----

Kim Goldberg is the B.C. current affairs columnist for
Canadian Dimension. Her latest article about political
activism on the Internet can be browsed at:

http://www.incontext.ca/spidweb/feb15_96/news/social.htm

*****

X-within-URL: http://www2.nando.net/newsroom/ntn/world/040496/
_________________________________________________________________

RIGHTIST GROUP PLANS AUSCHWITZ MARCH TO BACK SHOP
_________________________________________________________________

Copyright &copy 1996 Nando.net
Copyright &copy 1996 Reuter Information Service

WARSAW (Apr 4, 1996 4:11 p.m. EST) - A Polish provincial
governor has overruled local authorities and allowed a protest
Saturday at the former Auschwitz death camp by rightists who
support building a supermarket nearby, his press office said.

"The Bielsk governor found no reasons for the demonstration
not to be held," an official of the press office in the southern
Polish province which has the twin Auschwitz-Birkenau camps on
its territory, told Reuters Thursday.

Applying for permission for the demonstration the group, the
small Polish National Union-Polish National Party, expressed
support for a plan, halted after protests by Jewish groups, to
open a supermarket near the main gates of the camp.

Authorities in the town of Oswiecim had earlier refused the
nationalist group permission for the protest at the camp, where
Nazi German invaders in World War II murdered more than a million
people, mostly Jews brought there from around Europe.

The museum at the camp itself supported the project, saying it
was in keeping with development plans for the surrounding area
and that a fast-food restaurant there would allow such facilities
to be removed from the camp site itself.

The shop project was halted last month after Israel and Jewish
groups both in Poland and abroad said it was inappropriate to
such a place -- a vast Jewish graveyard and chief symbol of the
Holocaust in which six million Jews died.

Poland's president and government both criticized the plan.

The provincial press official said that under Polish law the
governor had found no reason to forbid the demonstration.

"The organizers have promised that there will be no speeches
during the demonstration, they will not shout any slogans," he
said.

He added that the police had given permission for the
protestors to march from Birkenau to the Auschwitz camp and to
lay flowers by a block where the Germans shot thousands of Polish
prisoners.

There are a number of small right-wing groups in Poland,
descended from a pre-war nationalist and anti-Semitic tendency,
but they have attracted almost no support in recent elections.
There have previously been controversies between Jewish groups
and some Poles over other developments at Auschwitz, notably the
creation by its walls of a Roman Catholic convent which has since
been moved.

*****

{Editor's note: Though unmentioned in the piece below, several
members of the Canadian Airborne unit cashiered out of the Army
as a result of murdering and torturing civilans in Somalia, were
members of several racist groups, including the Heritage Front}

X-within-URL: http://www2.nando.net/newsroom/ntn/world/040496/
_________________________________________________________________

COLONEL WHO ACCUSED OFFICIALS OF COVER-UP NOW FACING COURT
MARTIAL
_________________________________________________________________

Copyright &copy 1996 Nando.net
Copyright &copy 1996 The Associated Press

Seven killed, including three civilians, in heavy fighting in
Mogadishu

TORONTO (Apr 4, 1996 10:18 p.m. EST) -- A Canadian army
colonel who claimed top defense officials agreed to alter and
destroy evidence related to abuses by soldiers in Somalia now
faces a court martial on charges of lying and altering documents.

Col. Geoff Haswell alleged last week that two military chiefs
of staff and the former deputy defense minister were involved in
a cover-up concerning abuse by soldiers against Somalis during
the 1992-93 peacekeeping mission.

On Wednesday, the military charged Haswell with seven
violations, including making a false statement and altering
documents with an intent to deceive.

The military did not specify which documents Haswell is
accused of changing. He was not arrested and no date has been set
for his court martial.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported that two other senior
officers face similar charges. No further details were available.

Haswell, the former director of public relations for the
Defense Department, was transferred last fall to a less powerful
post that he calls a "fictitious job." He claims the military is
trying to make him into a scapegoat.

"I'm still confident that at the end I'm going to walk away
from this," Haswell told The Canadian Press late Wednesday.

The controversy over a possible cover-up is the latest twist
in a long-running scandal arising from Canada's deployment in
Somalia as part of an international peacekeeping force. Canadian
soldiers killed three Somalis in questionable circumstances,
including a teen-ager who was tortured to death by soldiers
photographed gloating beside his bloody body.

As the abuses came to light, the government disbanded the
elite Airborne Regiment, whose soldiers committed the worst
abuses. The scandal has hurt army morale and eroded public
confidence.

The alteration or disappearance of key documents could hinder
the work of a federal inquiry panel midway through an
investigation of the Somalia mission.

The head of the Somalia inquiry, Justice Gilles Letourneau,
said Monday there were gaps in evidence presented to his panel.
The missing documents include the Airborne Regiment's daily logs
for February and March 1993 -- when the three Somalis were
killed.

In an interview published Saturday in The Globe and Mail, a
leading Canadian daily, Haswell said the cover-up was approved by
Canada's chief of staff, Gen. Jean Boyle; his predecessor, John
de Chastelain; and former deputy defense minister Robert Fowler,
now Canada's ambassador to the United Nations.

Boyle and Fowler have denied any wrongdoing. De Chastelain has
not commented publicly.

On Wednesday, Boyle ordered the entire military to drop
everything but "essential services" on April 9 to search for the
missing documents.

Opposition leaders criticized the order as ludicrous, with
legislator Jim Hart of the right-wing Reform Party dubbing it
"the Great Easter Egg Hunt."

Haswell's cover-up allegations have prompted opposition
legislators to call for the resignation of Defense Minister David
Collenette, who has stood by his choice of Boyle as chief of
staff. Before his promotion, Boyle's duties included coordinating
the military's response to the Somalia affair.

Collenette says he is confident the federal inquiry will find
the truth, but he has suggested the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
could be called to in take over the probe if there is further
obstruction.

*****

X-within-URL: http://www2.nando.net/newsroom/ntn/nation/040496/

_________________________________________________________________

MISSISSIPPI SPY AGENCY HAS 87,000 NAMES ON FILE
_________________________________________________________________

Copyright &copy 1996 Nando.net
Copyright &copy 1996 Reuter Information Service

NEW ORLEANS (Apr 4, 1996 8:11 p.m. EST) - A secret commission
set up by Mississippi in the 1950s to combat racial desegregation
spied on at least 87,000 people during the civil rights era, a
U.S. appellate court panel was told Thursday.

The question before the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals here
is whether the files of the Mississippi Sovereignty Commission
should be opened to the public or restricted to people who were
the unwitting victims of state-sponsored espionage for more than
two decades.

"Those people may not know their names are in the file, and
disclosing their files with their names would damage them because
the records contain lies, speculation and innuendo," said Luke
Dove, the attorney for a civil rights activist who wants file
access restricted.

The Sovereignty Commission was established in 1956 to protect
the state from the encroachments of the federal government,
according to the official language of the time. But it is now
clear that the agency existed to resist the racial desegregation
orders of the U.S. Supreme Court.

It did so by compiling dossiers on tens of thousands of people
considered to be potential subversives. The list is said to
include civil rights activists, college students, state
government officials and others.

But until now, the actual number has not been made public.

"87,000 names have been identified in the file," Special
Assistant State Attorney General Mary Margaret Bowers told the
appellate court.

Information in the commission files led to the 1994 murder
conviction of white supremacist Byron de la Beckwith more than 30
years after he killed Medgar Evers, field officer of the National
Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

The Mississippi Legislature disbanded the commission in 1977
and ordered the files destroyed, but the American Civil Liberties
Union sued to get the documents unsealed.

A federal court in Jackson has ruled that the files can be
opened after advertisements appear in The New York Times, the
Wall Street Journal, USA Today and 12 Mississippi newspapers. But
attorneys for Ed King, a Methodist minister and civil rights
activist from Jackson, argued that the state should notify
personally the people whose names are on file.

"We have to balance those interests against the interests of
the people of Mississippi having the benefit of sunlight shining
on this sorry chapter in Mississippi history," U.S. Circuit Judge
Robert Parker said.

David Ingebretsen, the ACLU's executive director for
Mississippi, said the files could be opened within a year if the
appellate court decides that newspaper ads are sufficient.

* * * * *

Bay Area Coalition for Our Reproductive Rights (BACORR)
750 La Playa # 730
San Francisco, California 94121
Voice: (415) 437-4032
E-Mail: <tburghardt@igc.apc.org>

On PeaceNet visit BACORR's <women.clinicdefense> conference. For
subscription information e-mail Wendi Jones, <wjones@igc.apc.org>

BACORR text files can also be found on the following sites:

Arm The Spirit
WWW:gopher://locust.cic.net:70/11/politics/Arm.The.Spirit/BACORR
FTP: ftp.etext.org --> /pub/politics/Arm.The.Spirit/BACORR
FTP: ftp.etext.org -->
/pub/politics/Arm.The.Spirit/Antifa/Antifa.Info-Bulletin

Institute For Alternative Journalism (AlterNet)
http://www.alternet.org/an/demworks/html
gopher://gopher.igc.apc.org:70/00/orgs/alternet

*****************************************************************
BACORR: DEFENDING CLINICS, EXPOSING TERRORISM -- BECAUSE NO
ONE'S GONNA DO IT FOR US!
*****************************************************************

++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
++++ if you agree copy these 3 sentences in your own sig ++++
++++ see: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm ++++