A - I n f o s
a multi-lingual news service by, for, and about anarchists **

News in all languages
Last 40 posts (Homepage) Last two weeks' posts

The last 100 posts, according to language
Castellano_ Deutsch_ Nederlands_ English_ Français_ Italiano_ Polski_ Português_ Russkyi_ Suomi_ Svenska_ Türkçe_ The.Supplement
First few lines of all posts of last 24 hours || of past 30 days | of 2002 | of 2003 | of 2004 | of 2005 | of 2006

Syndication Of A-Infos - including RDF | How to Syndicate A-Infos
Subscribe to the a-infos newsgroups
{Info on A-Infos}

(en) Israel-Palestine: Bil'in and the joint struggle against the wall

Date Mon, 22 May 2006 12:35:43 +0200 (CEST)

The theme of today's demo was Palestinian villages today and the Nakba of
Bil'iners and members of the Anarchists Against the Wall, as well as ISM
and international activists, carried signs with the names of villages
affected, cut off, or encapsulated by the occupation. Notably we carried a
banner showing Dir Yassin in 1948 and Bil'in in 2006 with the title
'disaster' in Arabic, English and Hebrew.
The army and police were already waiting for us as usual. Today (like the
last 3 weeks) they were waiting in armoured vehicles, well secure behind
the barbed wire barricade they set up since the protesters destroyed the
yellow checkpoint gate at the fence route.

We started off by singing and shouting slogans at the soldiers on the
fence. Then a rock was thrown at the soldiers by some of the village
youths and the Israeli army threw stun and smoke grenades at the
protesters, then they entered the village territory and started shooting
rubber-coated bullets at the stone throwers.

This effectively split the demo in half, some wanted to follow the
soldiers and make sure they stop shooting and others wanted to breach the
apartheid fence. Eventually we decided to go ahead with our original plan
and lay a carpet over the barbed wire and crossed over to the occupied
side. We were immediately stopped with stun and smoke grenades and rubber
bullets. 6 were wounded, one severely, he was shot in the forehead with a
rubber-coated bullet. 15 were arrested, one of the arrestees was a
14-year-old boy. Of these, all but 2 were later released.

* * * * *

Dear Friends,

Yesterday's demonstration in Bil'in exposes once again the brutality of
the Israeli army and police against nonviolent demonstrators. During the
past weeks we're witnessing an escalation of violence from the armed
forces, as if this is a result of higher ranks' orders - to suppress any
attempt of resistance during the last building stages of the annexation

During a long day of injuries and arrests:

15 were detained (7 Palestinians, 5 Israelis and 3 Internationals),
including a 14 year-old child. Out of these two were eventually arrested
(Wajie and Kobi) while all others were released.

Wajie was detained for 8 hours and released eventually without charge at
the fence area. A complaint regarding detention and treatment will be
Kobi is charged with assaulting a policeman and is held at the Giv'at
Ze'ev station. The police refused to view the evidence which was handed to
them and release him during yesterday, even though the video evidence
clearly refutes the charges against him. Kobi's court hearing will be held
tonight at the Russian Compound in Jerusalem/Al-Quds.

19 protestors have been injured during the demonstration by rubber-coated
bullets, shock grenades, beatings and inhalation of teargas.

At least 5 of them have been hospitalized at the Ramallah hospital.

Hitham Khateeb was hit by a rubber coated bullet between the eyes. As
result of the serious injury his doctors were concerned with a fracture to
the skull, which was later diagnosed as a fracture to the nose-bridge.
Hitham's condition is improving as of Saturday.

A-infos-en mailing list

A-Infos Information Center