A - I n f o s
a multi-lingual news service by, for, and about anarchists **

News in all languages
Last 40 posts (Homepage) Last two weeks' posts

The last 100 posts, according to language
Castellano_ Deutsch_ Nederlands_ English_ Français_ Italiano_ Polski_ Português_ Russkyi_ Suomi_ Svenska_ Türkçe_ The.Supplement
First few lines of all posts of last 24 hours || of past 30 days | of 2002 | of 2003 | of 2004 | of 2005

Syndication Of A-Infos - including RDF | How to Syndicate A-Infos
Subscribe to the a-infos newsgroups
{Info on A-Infos}

(en) Palestine-Israel, Bil'in, The regular joint Friday demonstrations against the separation fence resumed

Date Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:47:54 +0300

In spite of the declaration of the regional IOF army commander few weeks ago
that there will not be any more joint demonstrations in Bil'in, and his efforts
to enforce it, yesterday - 23-09-05 demonstration occurred, with great success.
It seems that the bad publicity and political ferment related to the banning
of the demonstration, and the struggles in the two weeks the ban was in power,
that did the demonstration any way... forced the higher authorities to over rule
the ban. (As a result both two last Friday demonstrations were not dispersed
after few minutes of arrival to the roadblock preventing the advance to the
building site of the separation fence - which was "improvement" of the policy applied .)
Following the intensification of the efforts to block the arrival of Israelis
to the joint Friday demonstration we took counter steps.

The obvious one was for few comrades to arrive already at Bil'in Thursday evening.
In spite of roadblocks in all the roads leading to Bil'in to stop us, overcoming
them ensured that at least few Israelis will be present at the joint demonstration
that will be done in time.
The other step was starting the travel to Bil'in an hour earlier. This step
which proved useful enabled most people to arrive in time in spite of the need
to go by foot and climb step hills an hour or two in order to go around road
blocks and time waste in police detention.

And indeed this Friday too, even the few of us who have white hairs could
persist... and most of the people from Tel Aviv arrive early enough to have
some rest before the demonstration. During the rest, reporters from Israeli
printed and electronic media had time to interview us about the Anarchists
Against The Wall role in the Bil'in joint demonstrations....

At the intended time - the end of the Friday noon prayer at the mosque,
about 150 of us (third of internationals and Israelis and two thirds
Palestinians of Bil'in and some out of village) started the march on the
road to the construction site... And as usual, after singing and slogans
shouting in the march with the weekly creative display structure at our
head we were blocked at the fringe of the village built area.

As usual, the mass of soldiers and border police were standing behind
the coiled barbed wire stretched on the road and its two sides.
As if in a ritual, the commander of the force showed us a document
declaring the area is a closed military zone and order all the Israelis
to get out. He also declared that the time allocated for the demo is
limited and he will disperse us if we will not comply.

As the time rolled on, the excitement ended. When the allotted time
neared its end we decided to side step the state force and took
a route back to the village through the olive groves in parallel to
the route of the separation fence. As the land between the trees
was freshly plowed, the soldiers who were going in parallel to
us to ensure we will not "visit" the building site got weary and
could not keep with us.... So, we found our self in front of
an irresistible temptation to veer towards the building fence route.

Ten of the fastest of us - one Palestinian, three internationals
and six Israelis, who also refused to get fast back, were detained
by a border police persons who were rushed there by cars.

Other people stayed for a while in a confrontation area in which
the usual youth stone throwing and police tear gas and rubber bullet
shooting were not missing. However, as it was out of the built
area of the village and with low intensity, none was seriously

After more than an hour, the Israelis, and internationals and
village activists regrouped to the "dream house" where the
internationals who stay in the village are living, and where
we assemble before and after the demonstration for talks.
As the summing meeting was started, we were called for emergency
activity. After a mysterious explosion occurred in the region of
the demonstration road block (we already left an hour ago) the
state forces started to interogate/harass people living in the near
vicinity and we were called to confront the state forces.
(It was suspected the state forces are vindictive and intend
to take revenge for their trampled reputation as staunch protectors
of the route of the fence.

After a short verbal confrontation with the state forces who stopped the
interogations/harassment when we arrived, the retreated from the village,
and shortly later released the Israelis and Palestinian detainees.
The international detainees who refused to identify themselves were
taken to Givat Ze'ev police station for processing.

Afterwards, weary but satisfied, the Israeli convoy of Anarchists
Against The Wall and others from the coalition against the fence
returned to Israel.

A-infos-en mailing list

A-Infos Information Center