A - I n f o s
a multi-lingual news service by, for, and about anarchists **

News in all languages
Last 40 posts (Homepage) Last two weeks' posts

The last 100 posts, according to language
Castellano_ Deutsch_ Nederlands_ English_ Français_ Italiano_ Polski_ Português_ Russkyi_ Suomi_ Svenska_ Türkçe_ The.Supplement
First few lines of all posts of last 24 hours || of past 30 days | of 2002 | of 2003 | of 2004 | of 2005

Syndication Of A-Infos - including RDF | How to Syndicate A-Infos
Subscribe to the a-infos newsgroups
{Info on A-Infos}

(en) Palestine-Israel, Bil'in, The joint Friday demonstration of 14-10-05 - a military experimental site again

Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 23:06:31 +0200

The Friday demons of today started earlier than usual as the noon prayer
the joint demonstration start after ended at noon because of the Ramadan
day time fasting. Because of that and because of the stricter blockade of
the army which hinder the travel of Israelis to Bil'in, only 10 of the
Israeli Anarchists Against The Wall initiative were at the beginning of
the Demo. About 100 of us - including about 20 internationals, started the
march towards the separation fence building route with the creative
presentation of the week at the front. Like their new habit the army did not
prevent us from reaching a point few meters from the fence route. There,
like all along the march, people continued the sounds, the calls and
the slogans that were the "music" along the march. We added to them the
derogatory calls towards the soldiers and the border policemen about their
presence in the occupied territories on the robed lands of Bil'in villagers.

We stayed there about an hour, but near the beginning when the youngsters
found there is not going to be there any confrontation, they left the
main body of the demo and spread in the olive orchards on the two sides
of the road - ready for confrontation with the soldiers if the will invade
the ground of the village that were not already confiscated.

However, the army commanders had different plans. The higher level
commanders had not come to observe a low intensity demonstration
as it was the last few weeks. This Friday demo was intended to show
their new tactics and to test the new bullets for dispersing crowds.

Fearing that the village youngsters will not "cooperate" if the army
will not attack first the non violent demo or invade the village lands,
a group of 7 plain clothes soldiers masquerading as Israeli demonstrators
infiltrated among the dispersing village youth. At the proper moment
they tried to incite the village youth to start throwing stones on the
far away soldiers... and when they failed - they started to throw stones
themselves giving the soldiers "justification" to attack and to "arrest"
two of the plain clothes soldiers.

And thus, the expected two hour battle of attrition between the stone
throwing youth started. This enabled the army to test the new bullets
and the new tactic of showering big areas with shots of tear gas canisters.
As part of the experiment, and in contradiction with their now defunct
strategy of the past, the did not use the start of the stone throwing
as a pretext to attack the nonviolent demonstrators.

Thus, the road itself remained a "safe zone" and surprisingly, the
soldiers fighting the youngsters did nothing to us (who were watching
the on going fight) even when passing one meter near us.

The long nonviolent demonstration and the two hours fight between
the soldiers and the village youth enabled the 40 Israelis delayed
by the road blocks to arrive in time to have at least part of the

After about two hours of the fight of stones against tear gas and
the new bullets, the direction of the wind changed. The huge amount
of tear gas showered that was before with no real effect started to
move towards us the observers and towards the stone throwers. In
addition, after a massive attack of the soldiers on the stone throwers
pursuing them up to the building area of the village, they just stopped
and went away... so the fun of action was over and we regrouped to the

After additional hour during which the it was cleared that the 4
arrested on the way to Bil'in were freed, and that the condition
of the two Palestinians and an Israeli injured was found not serious,
it really ended.

Part of the Israelis returned to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem, while the other
part continue to the next mission - protecting the next day(s) Palestinians
doing olive picking from harassment by soldiers and settlers.

A-infos-en mailing list

A-Infos Information Center