A - I n f o s
a multi-lingual news service by, for, and about anarchists **

News in all languages
Last 40 posts (Homepage) Last two weeks' posts

The last 100 posts, according to language
Castellano_ Deutsch_ Nederlands_ English_ Français_ Italiano_ Polski_ Português_ Russkyi_ Suomi_ Svenska_ Türkçe_ The.Supplement
First few lines of all posts of last 24 hours || of past 30 days | of 2002 | of 2003 | of 2004 | of 2005

Syndication Of A-Infos - including RDF | How to Syndicate A-Infos
Subscribe to the a-infos newsgroups
{Info on A-Infos}

(en) Palestine-Israel, Joint struggle in the new fronts of Marda and Ramadin and the older one of Bi'in,

Date Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:40:30 +0300

Marda: Today, Friday, a demonstration of about 100 people - among them a few
Israelis and internationalists - ended basically two minutes after it
started, when the soldiers - standing hight above us near the settlement
Ariel - shot massive amounts of tear gas on the demonstrators. About ten
minutes later, police (Magav) cars entered the heart of the village, and
continued to shoot gas, and apparently also rubber bullets and even live
ammunition. For about three hours, a small group of youngsters confronted
the soldiers above, throwing stones at them, and being attacked again and
again with gas, until they came down. But when the demo started, there was
absolutely no provocation from the demonstrators - we just started climbing
towards the route of the wall when the gas was shot at us. For some time,
the whole center of the village was under a mist of gas. One internationalist
arrested was later released after she signed a committment not to enter the
area for 15 days.

Israeli army shoots live bullets at children in Marda. As villagers
in Marda tried to make their way to their fields to do the political
prayers ceremony of Friday midday on their land - accompanied by media,
internationals, and Israeli peace* activists, tear gas clouded the skies.
Four bulldozers that had been uprooting Marda's trees to make way for
the "Ariel loop" of the Annexation Wall stopped working as soon as the
villagers began their march, a major victory for the day.
Mere minutes into the ascent upwards and only a few hundred meters up
the slope, the group, consisting mainly of children. The Israeli soldiers
began firing tear gas and sound bombs at the villagers. While a number
of soldiers fired from the hill, other military vehicles made their way
into the village.

With soldiers in the village and on the hilltops surrounding it, Marda
became a village of fear. Tear gas and sound bombs turned into rubber
bullets, and the rubber bullets into live ammunition, reportedly fired
directly at children. Soldiers shot tear gas towards the mosque and
into a sewing factory where dozens of women were working. Four were
taken to the hospital for gas inhalation.

Three Palestinians were injured by rubber bullets, one in the stomach,
one in the leg, and one in the arm. One Palestinian's thumb was broken
when a tear gas canister hit his hand. Others were treated for tear gas
inhalation. One international was detained for several hours and taken
to Ariel police station, but was later released.

The DCO later claimed that the Israeli army fired only one rubber bullet
and no live ammunition, and that a Palestinian had been shooting a
Kalachnikov rifle. Villagers and Israelis collected the bullets and
casings, however, and they were clearly from M16s, the rifles that the
military uses.
Israeli soldiers threatened to return later tonight.

* Slightly edited report of International Women's Peace Service (IWPS)
whe nearly never give credit in their reports to the Anarchists Against
The Wall who are described by the IWPS as "Israeli peace activists".

3 demonstrations - more violence today Author

three demos took place today in Bil'in, Ramadin, and Marda with
very little israeli presence. the army is becoming more violent
- international, israeli, and palestinian arrests, live bullets
and tear gas.

A detailed report on Ramadin, but only facts that were given on
Marda and Bil'in

The demo managed to get quite close to the path of the wall.
much tear gas was shot, and the use of live bullets as well. the
army threw tear gas into houses, to the mosque while people were
praying and at one point locked 40 people in an office and threw 2
tear gas canisters in there. at least 2 people fainted from tear gas.

The demo went on for a few hours, one palestinian arrested, and one
international woman, who was released later.

About 50 villagers, 10 of the Israeli Anarchists Against The wall
initiative, and few internationals started early afternoon a march
towards the building site of the separation fence.

The demo didnt manage to leave the village. Just near the last house
of the village on the road to the route of the fence, the Israeli army
blocked the road with a barbed wire. Two or three minutes after we arrived
there, without a warning or demand to disperce, or warning the Israelis
we are in a closed zone, the soldiers started shooting at us tear gass

Just few minutes later the army added the use of a deafning siren as means
of dispersal. One israeli who was with the photographers at the front
was arrested and later realeased.

As usual, after the army dispersed the nonviolent demonstration, the
demonstrators kept advancing and retreating according to the intensity
of the tear gass shooting. As usually, the "shabab" youngsters started
a protracted battle of attrition with the soldiers along the western
fringe of the village. The soldiers used mainly teargas but also rubber
coated bullets.

At least one person was injured from a rubber bullet.

the army declared the area a closed military zone that morning,
warning the villagers not to get close to the path, and put up
a checkpoint on the main road to the village, not letting
any cars in.

about 200 palestinians took part in the demo, including many
children and some women, there were 5 israelis and one international.
the village had some land stolen from them in '48 where Kibutz Lahav
now sits, and has a very close by settlement "eshkolot" also sitting
on their land. the path of the wall is going to surround the south of
Ramadin and take more of their land now.

the demo started towards the path, with at least 70 soldiers present.
the villagers held a prayer on the land for about an hour, and then
started to get closer to the path, beyond a line of stones the army
decided was their non-crossing point. the soldiers then approached
and after "negotiation" with the head of the village, the village
decided to end the demonstration peacefully and return to the village.

A-infos-en mailing list

A-Infos Information Center